Cyber-attacks have become globally rampant, and the challenges are increasingly difficult to counter. We are past the half way point of 2017 and the damage of security breaches already holds a hefty price, weighing into the billions.
However, around the world there seems to be some nations that are hit harder and more frequently than others. Hackers repetitively target certain countries either because of political passion or simply because it's easier. Here is our list of countries the Hackers have special sentiment for.
Most hard hit:
5. TURKEY: - When it comes to the top problems Turkey is facing, cyber-attacks read high on the list. This problem may stem largely from internal political dissatisfactions, as Prime Minister Erdogan has been on the receiving end of many anti-establishment social media activists' twitter campaigns, particularly in the past year. However, Turkey also seems to be on the receiving end of multiple hacking issues.
Anonymous, the hacktivist group have openly admitted hacking into financial and state-run sites for extended periods against the Turkish Government, claiming they are punishing State-ties to ISIS. In addition, the largest IPO in Turkey was hit recently causes financial losses into the millions.
4. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: - Although stateside we seem to feel that the USA is the only country suffering from cyber-attacks, in reality, although high on the list, we are also harder to reach.
The USA has had to suck it up when it comes to cyber-attacks as all State-run affairs such as elections, military and national security become the holy grail of hacktivists worldwide with a cross to bear against the U.S.A.
Cyber-attacks have affected the national infrastructure and the Government is spending record amounts developing robust security and counter-attacks. Regardless, the U.S. government seem to be getting schooled, over and over by Microsoft for their lapses in security strength and the need to continually upgrade the fight.
Microsoft, of course, is 100% right and the need for a very robust cyber security in the USA can never be overemphasized.
3. INDIA: - India is among the top emerging markets, perhaps that's the reason for a drastic increase in the rate of cyber-attacks. Just last year, the country was affected by numerous acute cyber-attacks, which affected tremendous number of debit cards and banking systems.
Additionally, a report carried out concerning cyber attacks emerged that the need for national cyber security in India has been increasing at an expeditious rate with 41% of local companies suffer data breaches. It is still expected to increase even more, as India moves further into digitization.
2. THE PHILIPPINES: - When it comes to cyber security, positivity is low in The Philippines. It has emerged that the infrastructure of the Philippines makes it profoundly vulnerable. Online criminals have rammed the country with cyber-attacks which can be particularly devastating as the Philippines relies more and more on digitalization.
The recent ransomware "Wannacry" attack tested the newest national cybersecurity plan and the head of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) claims they are monitoring all threats and ransomware infections.
The best development that can occur in the Philippines for their cyber security right now is to build precise and highly effective security measures to target acute attacks.
1. INDONESIA: - When it comes to cyber-attacks in Indonesia, the most alarming indication of just how bad it is, is the rate of increase. Within the period of 2014 and 2015, proliferated by 33% and from 2016 -2017, higher still.
Indonesia has neither the infrastructure or the will to handle the issue. Hospitals, banks were all easy targets for "Wannacry". They have less capabilities to bounce back and more to lose.
If you have further thoughts on this blog, please add your thoughts below.